Pre surgery information
What should you look for in finding the right Cosmetic surgeon?
– qualification and Board-Certification.
Why I picked dr. Arthur?
Dr. Arthur Tjandra is a fellow of the International College of Surgeons, and member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. He is also a visiting doctor at the Institute of Plastic Surgery Singapore, as well as The Heal Medical Group. For more information about dr. Arthur, click here: http://elixirdevie.sg/about.html. Dr. Arthur has done more than 1000 cases of liposuction in Medan. His reviews were awesome and I received a recommendation from one of his previous patients.
His patients described him as a friendly doctor, nice, detailed, open to all views and an athlete! My opinion? He is friendly, humble, caring, detailed and professional.
The cost? It is definitely cheaper than Singapore. I spent about $ 6.2 K inclusive of air fares, room, transfers, food and medicines. The good thing about Elixir devie is that all charges are included in the surgery fee so we do not have to worry about hidden charges.
– – – –
How to count the areas for liposuction? Dr. Arthur defines areas to be treated as follow:
Arms liposuction covers 4 areas : Arms, armpits, shoulders, upper back
Tummy liposuction covers 5 areas : Upper tummy, Lower Tummy, Waist, Flanks, Lower back
Thighs liposuction covers 7 areas : Hips, Buttocks (banana rolls and saddle bags), Outer thighs, Inner thighs, Front thighs, Back thighs, Knees.
– – – –
If you choose to go with dr. Arthur, he will ask you to send some pictures for his evaluation and you must pass the blood test otherwise he will not do the surgery for you.
– – – –
What to prepare for the lipo surgery?
Here are some tips that may help you prepare for lipo surgery:
- Do not gain weight
- Do not smoke and drink alcohol
- Let your doctor know what medications and supplements you are taking. This is because some medications/supplements can inhibit blood clotting or causing too much blood clotting or even interfere with anasthesia – all this can cause problems during lipo surgery.
- Buy antibacterial soap (Dettol) to bathe with for a few days before your procedure, this will help to reduce risk of infection.
- Buy a good post liposuction compression garment (make sure you buy the right one – don’t be like me! I bought the wrong one and it was too short and didn’t cover all areas!)
- Buy some water proof band aids
- Take Arnica Montana 5 days before the procedure – it helps to minimize swelling and bruising.
- I have anemia so I take sangobion one tablet every day.
Post surgery information
What to expect after the Lipo surgery:
- Paint and discomfort during recovery – you will be given pain medications.
- Nausea and vomitting. My vomitting last for 2 days and I did not have appetite. I couldn’t eat anything and only had apples and bananas. I had fever after the surgery – probably because I was vomitting and didn’t take the medicines back.
- Swelling during recovery time – in my case – swelling occured at about 5 days and it’s gone in week 2 but I felt firmness in week 1 to 2.
- Bruising – if I am not mistaken, my bruises gone after few days. Electric tingling sensations is normal and it will subside.
- Expect your menstrual cycle to be late.
I went down to Medan and had my surgery same day on Thursday. I only took 3 days off from work – returned to work on Tuesday. Looked very normal!
I started to take showers the next day after surgery but only upper and lower part of my body. I had fever after the surgery and sweat a lot so I don’t think I can skip shower – die die must shower! You may want to bring some water proof band aid to cover your wounds.
Compression Garment – after the procedure, the nurse will put the compression garment on you. The garment will help to decrease swelling and conform skin to its new position. I stopped wearing my compression garment on the 6th day and changed it to corset.
Massage – I did the massage myself (because I cannot afford a massage therapist in Singapore, too expensive!), it is not that difficult but very time consuming. You need at least 1 hour to get everything done start from massage to change the dressings. I used olive oil to massage my tummy twice a day for about 20 minutes.
After the surgery, you will be given the following medications:
- Q-Cef 500 mg – Antibiotics
- Danzene – Anti inflammatory
- Paracetamol – pain killers
- Ironyl – Multivitamins and iron supplements
- If you wish, you can continue taking the Arnica Montana.
For the wounds:
- Gentamycin ointment
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Bleaching cream for scars – since I am a lazy and forgetful person – I always forget to apply this cream.